Apple Baked French Toast
By February 25, 2013Published:
Featuring specialty crop recipes
- 1 lg. loaf French or Italian bread
- 8 lg. eggs
- 3 1/2 C. milk
- 1 C. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 6 to 8 med. apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Slice bread into 1-1/2" slices.
- Spray a 9x13" glass pan with cooking spray.
- Place bread in pan with sides touching, will be a snug fit.
- Whisk together eggs, 1/2 c. sugar, milk and vanilla for about 30 seconds.
- Pour half of mixture over bread.
- Place apples on top of bread to cover.
- Pour rest of egg mixture evenly over bread.
- Mix 1/2 c. sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over apples. Dot with butter.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. In morning, preheat oven to 350°. Uncover dish and bake for one hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 5-10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve with warm syrup or powdered sugar.
- Course: Breakfast