Survivors by Faith
Who: St. John’s Lutheran Church Ash Grove
Cost: $12 includes shipping
Details: soft-backed, spiral bound
Pages of recipes: 184
Send checks to: Dale Schleef, Survivors by Faith, 1117 N. 1200 Road, Onarga, IL 60955-7646 or call 815-867-6714
Blueberry Lemon Bread
By February 24, 2014Published:
Survivors by Faith Who: St. John’s Lutheran Church Ash GroveCost: $12 includes shippingDetails: soft-backed, spiral boundPages …
- 1-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. eggs, beaten with 1/4 C. milk and 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
- 6 T. apple butter room temperature
- 1-1/3 c. sugar divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peeel
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1-1/2 c. fresh blueberries or frozen, thawed and drained
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter, flour and sugar an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan; set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter with 1 cup sugar in large bowl until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the lemon peel.
- Slowly mix in the reserved flour mixture alternately with the milk beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Lightly coat blueberries with a small amount of flour (a scant tablespoon) by tossing in a separate bowl.
- Gently fold blueberries into the batter.
- Spoon batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted into center, comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, bring remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the lemon juice to boil in small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Keep hot for pouring.
- Pierce top of hot loaf several times with a long wooden pick without touching the bottom of the loaf.
- Slowly, pour the hot lemon mixture over the loaf in pan.
- Cool for 30 minutes in pan on wire rack. Turn bread out of pan and cool completely on rack.
- Makes 1 loaf or if using small pans, 4 to 5 loaves.