promo

Safety & Health

This improperly wired overhead lamp switch reveals a potential home danger. Electrical code requires wire nuts for connections, but these ­connections have been taped. The wires could become exposed and touch the lamp’s metal base, resulting in electrical shock. 
Source: Underwriters Laboratories

Home wiring health check

Electric capacity is a major concern with older wiring systems. Homeowners in the 1930s didn’t use a lot of elec­trical appliances, except for a refrigerator, a few lights, and a radio. An explosion of appliance purchases followed in the late 1940s and early ’50s. But the arrival of air ­conditioning during the 1960s soon rendered […]

Read More
Leave a comment

A shattered utility pole remains atop the damaged pickup truck with de-energized lines still attached.

Drivers share life saving experience

On Sat. April 27, 2013, at 3:30 p.m., Rural Electric Convenience Cooperative linemen Bill Hart and Curt Nichelson responded to a report of a pole being hit and electric lines on the ground near Litchfield, Ill. When they arrived, they found a broken transmission pole and a pickup that had been energized. Fortunately, Mathew Emery, […]

Read More
Leave a comment


87590634

Quick as lightning

According to the National Weather Service, lightning strikes the United States 25 million times every year, and every strike is a potential killer. Thirty-seven people die each year, and almost a dozen are killed indirectly through fires started by a lightning strike. To keep your family safe, it is important to know what actions to […]

Read More
Leave a comment


E010107

The power of water

Water is what makes our planet unique in the cosmos. Water is essential to life, and is used for everything from cooking to industry to recreation. Just like Goldie Locks we want our water to be just right. It’s bad enough when we have too little like last summer, but too much causes flooding. And […]

Read More
Leave a comment



78366716

Are you ready to save a life?

Each year the Association of Illinois Electric Cooperatives (AIEC) trains hundreds of ­cooperative employees how to respond to health-related ­emergencies, ­specifically how to do cardio pul­monary resuscitation (CPR), administer first aid, and how to use an automated external defibrillator (AED). Each of these areas is crucial in offering a chance of survival to a person […]

Read More
Leave a comment

SpaceHeater01

Staying warm and safe this winter

Earlier this year, on a cold January morning, fire officials determined that an electric space heater claimed the lives of 5-year-old and 9-year-old sisters in Grantville, Ga. in a fire that destroyed the family’s home. Despite repeated search and rescue efforts, smoke and flames from the fire ­prevented the ­location and rescue of the two […]

Read More
1 Comment