promo

  • Know when to replace carbon monoxide detectors

    The Office of the State Fire Marshal warns everyone to pay special attention to the distinct signals sent by carbon monoxide alarms when their life has expired. Frequently, people may believe that a beep coming out of their CO alarm means it’s time for a battery change, when in fact it means that the device needs to be replaced.

    “It is extremely important to pay attention to the different beeps that come out of a dead CO alarm. We want to ensure that our residents understand the difference in order to take immediate action and prevent a tragedy,” said State Fire Marshal Larry Matkaitis.

    Carbon monoxide is the number one cause of poisoning deaths in the nation according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Because CO is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas, it can kill people before they realize its presence. It can be produced by gas or oil appliances such as furnaces, clothes dryers, water heaters, ovens, space heaters or, in some cases, by fireplaces and wood burning stoves.

    For additional information go to www.sfm.illinois.gov.

    Post a Comment