Seven students win electric co-op scholarships
Don Wood, Vice President of Government Relations for the Association of Illinois Electric Cooperatives, announced the names of the seven winners of the 2012 Thomas H. Moore IEC Memorial Scholarship in May.
“There were 230 applications received this year and, as always, a large number were extremely qualified applicants,” said Wood. The amount of each scholarship is $1,250.
Anyone interested in next year’s scholarship should contact their local electric cooperative or local high school guidance counselor.
In the “son or daughter of an electric cooperative member” category, the four winners are:
• Jace Biggs of Palestine, Ill. Jace’s family receives electricity from Norris Electric Cooperative.
• Billy Hatfield of Dahlgreen, Ill. Billy’s family receives electricity from Wayne-White Counties Electric Cooperative.
• Alexander Dunker of Rockton, Ill. Alexander’s family receives electricity from Rock Energy.
• Lindsay Morr of Bloomington, Ill. Lindsay’s family receives electricity from Corn Belt Energy.
In the “son or daughter of an electric cooperative employee or director” category, the winner of the “Earl W. Struck Memorial Scholarship” is Megan Altfillisch of Elizabeth, Ill. Megan is the daughter of Jo-Carroll Energy Line Foreman Donald Altfillisch.
The two winners of the scholarships reserved for use at an Illinois Community College are:
• Hannah Herzing. Hannah’s family receives electricity from Tri-County Electric Cooperative.
• Mikaela Walk. Mikaela’s family receives electricity from Coles-Moultrie Electric Cooperative.
The 2012 winner of the program’s eighth scholarship, the new “LaVern and Nola McEntire Lineworkers Scholarship,” will be announced shortly.