United States Postal Service increases prices
It now will cost a penny more to mail letters in the U.S. The new 45-cent price for Forever stamps is one of the changes filed with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) back in October.
Effective Jan. 22, 2012, prices are as follows:
• Letters (1 oz.): 1-cent increase to 45 cents
• Letters additional ounces: unchanged at 20 cents
• Postcards: 3-cent increase to 32 cents
• Letters to Canada or Mexico (1 oz.): 5-cent increase to 85 cents
• Letters to other international destinations: 7-cent increase to $1.05
Prices also will change for other mailing services, including Standard Mail, Periodicals, Package Services and Extra Services. While actual percentage price increases vary, the overall average price increase across all mailing services is capped by law at the rate of inflation calculated based on the Consumer Price Index. The cap for this increase is 2.1 percent.