Green Onion and Water Cress Soup with cheese croutons
Susie Laing, Eastern Illini Electric Cooperative
- 1 slice multi-grain bread cut into 1/2” cubes.
- 1/2 ounce Gruyere cheese coarsely grated, about 1/2 cup.
- 1 cube low sodium vegetable bouillion
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1 cup (2 oz) coarsely chopped watercress (toughest stems discarded)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
Preheat oven to 375º. Toss bread cubes with cheese on a rimmed baking sheet.
Bake until cheese has melted and bread is light crisp. About 10 minutes. Let cool.
Bring 2 C. Water to a boil.
Divide bouillion cube, scallions, watercress and salt between 2 mugs. Pour 1 c. water into each. Stir to dissolve bouillon.
Serve immediately with cheese croutons.