One Pot Zuppa Tuscana
Submitted by Caitlin Gayheart, Eastern Illini Electric Cooperative
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage ground
- 5 pounds yellow potatoes
- 48-64 ounces chicken stock/broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 bunch fresh kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice and saute a medium onion in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until aromatic. Add one pound of Italian sausage and cook until browned.
- Clean and slice potatoes into 1/4-inch rounds, leaving the skins on. Add potatoes to the pot. Add pepper to taste and salt heavily. Mix well to evenly distribute meat and onion among the potatoes. Add at least 48 ounces of chicken stock or broth — enough to cover the potatoes by at least a half inch. Bring to a boil and cover for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Lower heat to medium-low and stir in a cup of heavy whipping cream. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Wash and dry the kale before removing stems and chop leaves into big pieces. Add kale to the pot and stir until wilted and bright green. Serve with shredded Parmesan.
Nutrition information: 190 calories; 11.4g fat; 648mg salt; 13.1g carbohydrates; 9.2g protein.