AIEC employees share favorite soups
Chicken and Rice Soup
By Sandy Wolske, Advertising Coordinator/Graphic Designer
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 leek white and light green parts halved lengthwise, sliced thin and washed thoroughly; dark green part chopped coarse and washed thoroughly
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 (2-1/2 lb.) rotisserie chicken skin and bones reserved for stock, meat shredded into bite-size pieces (3 cups)
- 6 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 c. water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 carrots peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4” thick
- 1/2 c. short-grain white rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 2 T. minced fresh parsley
- Heat 1 T. oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onion, dark green leek part and celery, and cook until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken skin and bones, broth, water, thyme and bay leaves and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, loosely covered, for 30 minutes.
- Strain stock through fine-mesh strainer into large bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids and set stock aside. (You should have about 8 cups of stock. If you have less, add water to equal 8 cups.)
- Wipe out now empty Dutch oven with paper towels and heat remaining 1 T. oil over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add white and light green leek parts and carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and cook stirring frequently, until edges of rice become translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add stock and 1 tsp. salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and peas and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.