Adapted from natashaskitchen.com Servings: 12
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups fine yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 12 hot dogs
- 12 wooden skewers
- Pour 3 inches of oil into a large pot and heat to 340 F over medium heat.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. Separately, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Combine wet and dry ingredients and pour into a tall glass.
- Pat hot dogs dry with paper towels and insert a stick into each. Dip hot dogs in the batter to coat. Let excess drip off. Using tongs, carefully hold the corn dog by the stick and submerge it in the hot oil for a few seconds to let it seal so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot, and drop it in the oil.
- Fry in batches (2 to 3 at a time) for 3 minutes or until browned. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition information: 357 calories; 21.6g fat; 750mg salt; 30.5g carbohydrates; 10.6g protein.