As summer temperatures continue to go up, there’s no need to let the heat get you down. There are several ways you can keep cool this summer—without wreaking havoc on your home’s air conditioner! Use these four simple life hacks to beat the summer heat.
- Make aloe vera cubes. Whether you’re nursing a sunburn or just wanting to cool off, aloe vera cubes will offer some relief. Simply fill an ice tray with aloe vera gel, freeze it, then place the cubes on your body’s pulse points, like the neck and wrists, for a quick cooling sensation.
- Try a cooling pillow. If you’re willing to spend a little, a cooling pillow can help you feel more comfortable on those muggy summer nights. Prices range from $27 (like Plixio Pillows) to $180 (like the Technogel Pillow), so you can determine how much you’re willing to spend.
- Just add mint. Menthol makes our bodies feel cool, so by adding spearmint essential oil to products like body wash and lotion, you can get an instant cooling effect. Essential oils can be purchased at most drugstores or online.
- Spend a few bucks on a handheld fan mister. Sure, you may feel a little silly carrying around a tiny fan, but you’ll be more comfortable than everyone else—and they’ll probably ask to borrow it. You can typically find these at big box stores like Walmart or Target, or you can order one online.
There are additional ways to keep you and your home cool this summer:
- Close blinds and curtains during the day and open them during the evening when the temperatures are cooler.
- Use ceiling fans and portable fans to stay comfortable. But remember, fans cool people, not rooms.
- Use appliances that put out heat, like clothes dryers and dishwashers, during the evening to minimize indoor heat during the day when temperatures are higher.
Don’t let the heat get in the way of summer fun. Use these tips to keep your cool and enjoy the rest of the season!
Source: Abby Berry, NRECA
Above: Adding spearmint essential oil to products like body wash and lotion gives you an instant cooling effect.