Who: American Legion Post 1994 Auxiliary, Keyesport, IL
Cost: $13 including shipping
Details: soft-backed, comb-bound
Pages of recipes: 90
Send checks to: Marie Ward, 21618 Robin Lane, Carlyle, IL 62231
or call 618-749-9909.
Italian Sausage And Tortellini Soup
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage casing removed
- 1 lg. onion chopped
- 2 lg. cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 5 C. beef broth
- 2 C. diced, peeled tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 med. zucchini chopped
- 1 lg. carrots thinly sliced
- 1 med. green bell pepper diced
- 1 box frozen, chopped spinach
- 1/4 C. dry red wine (opt.)
- 2 T. dried leaf basil
- 2 T. dried leaf oregano
- 8-10 oz. fresh cheese tortellini
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Sauté Italian sausage in a heavy kettle or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up with the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a bowl.
- Pour off all but 1 T. fat from the pan.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return sausage to pan. Add beef broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, spinach, wine, basil and oregano.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook till done.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.