Road Kill Feasts
For 16 years, avid hunter, cook, and Egyptan Electric Cooperative member Virgil Hannig, hosted Road Kill Feasts each February in Carbondale. Hannig, and his “Road Kill Chefs”, served 85-90 men fare such as Amos’ Famous Barbequed Coon, Venison Stroganoff, Sharptail Grouse and Pheasant Pot Pie, and Turtle Mulligan.
With the fall hunting season soon getting underway, Hannig agreed to share some of his most sought-after recipes. He suggests substituting beef, chicken or other meat if you don’t have access to game.
Pecan Salsa for Upland Birds
- 1-1/2 c. distilled or bottled water
- 1 c. light brown sugar
- 1 c. White sugar
- 1 T. Lime Juice
- 2 c. whipping cream
- 1 4- oz. can diced green chilies
- 2 c. Pecans chopped
- Heat water, add both sugars and stir until dissolved.
- Increase heat and boil gently 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Slowly stir in cream. Add remaining ingredients, stirring well.
- Serve as gravy over golden brown upland birds.