Road Kill Feasts
For 16 years, avid hunter, cook, and Egyptan Electric Cooperative member Virgil Hannig, hosted Road Kill Feasts each February in Carbondale. Hannig, and his “Road Kill Chefs”, served 85-90 men fare such as Amos’ Famous Barbequed Coon, Venison Stroganoff, Sharptail Grouse and Pheasant Pot Pie, and Turtle Mulligan.
With the fall hunting season soon getting underway, Hannig agreed to share some of his most sought-after recipes. He suggests substituting beef, chicken or other meat if you don’t have access to game.
Big Game in Heavy Cream Sauce
- 1-2 lbs. backstrap deer, moose, elk, caribou or buffalo
- 6 med. mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 12 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 2 to matoes blanched peeled and diced
- Dollop of mustard
- Pat of butter
- Remove white skin from meat and cut into 1/2” thick medallions and tenderize. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add prepared meat and saute’ for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and keep on a warmed plate.
- Place mushrooms and onion into the skillet and cook about 3-4 minutes.
- Add cream and let cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, mustard and butter. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice pilaf.