Road Kill Feasts
For 16 years, avid hunter, cook, and Egyptan Electric Cooperative member Virgil Hannig, hosted Road Kill Feasts each February in Carbondale. Hannig, and his “Road Kill Chefs”, served 85-90 men fare such as Amos’ Famous Barbequed Coon, Venison Stroganoff, Sharptail Grouse and Pheasant Pot Pie, and Turtle Mulligan.
With the fall hunting season soon getting underway, Hannig agreed to share some of his most sought-after recipes. He suggests substituting beef, chicken or other meat if you don’t have access to game.
Road Kill Feast Chili
- 2 lbs. ground meat deer, moose, elk, caribou or buffalo
- 2 sm. pkgs. Jimmy Dean hot sausage
- 2 lg. Onions diced
- 2 med. green peppers diced
- 2 sm. cans Brooks chili hot beans
- 1 6- oz. can tomato paste
- 2 8- oz. cans Tomato sauce
- 1 24- oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can Rotels tomatoes
- 12 oz. tomato juice
- hot sauce to taste
- 4 t. minced garlic
- 1 clove garlic
- Combine all ingredients and cook over low heat for approximately 8 hours, stirring frequently to keep chili from scorching on the bottom of the pot.