Road Kill Feasts
For 16 years, avid hunter, cook, and Egyptan Electric Cooperative member Virgil Hannig, hosted Road Kill Feasts each February in Carbondale. Hannig, and his “Road Kill Chefs”, served 85-90 men fare such as Amos’ Famous Barbequed Coon, Venison Stroganoff, Sharptail Grouse and Pheasant Pot Pie, and Turtle Mulligan.
With the fall hunting season soon getting underway, Hannig agreed to share some of his most sought-after recipes. He suggests substituting beef, chicken or other meat if you don’t have access to game.
Pheasant Under Cheddar
- 2-3 pheasant breasts cut into serving pieces (quail or grouse may be substituted)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 cans mushroom soup
- 2 c. chicken broth or bouillon
- 1-1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese gruyere may be substituted
- cooking oil
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Dip pieces of pheasant in seasoned flour, coating well.
- Brown in cooking oil in frying pan.
- Place meat in baking dish.
- Combine mushroom soup and broth; pour over browned pheasant.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over meat.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours.