I have a reputation with my children for getting a little bit carried away when I do Christmas baking. A few years ago, I was so excited about having all of our children and grandchildren home for the holidays, I kept adding to the items I just had to make. By the time they all arrived, I had quite a dessert “buffet” that included 18 items. I still haven’t lived that down!
This month’s issue had all the makings for me getting carried away again. It was difficult to stop coming up with recipes. Hopefully, I will have gotten some of the need to bake out of my system before Christmas and can keep the recipes to a reasonable number. Only time will tell.
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans
- 1 box yellow sour cream cake mix
- 1/2 c. light rum
- 1 lg. box instant vanilla pudding
- 1/2 c. Water
- 1/2 c. oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 c. light rum
- 1/4 c. Water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a tube pan or 12-cup bundt pan.
- Sprinkle pecans in bottom.
- Mix remaining cake ingredients for 2 minutes.
- Pour into pan and bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan and cool completely.
- Mix together rum glaze ingredients and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place cake on a plate and prick holes in top and sides of cake. Slowly spoon glaze over entire cake until it has absorbed all of the glaze.
This cake is best if made two or three days ahead of time and tightly wrapped with plastic wrap.