If you or someone you know has been the victim of elder financial abuse and want to talk confidentially to someone about it, an Adult Protective Services caseworker can help you take steps to alleviate the situation.
Don’t let it happen again. Remember:
• If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
•Get estimates before doing home renovations.
• Do not pay for work in advance.
• Never do business without checking references.
• Don’t be afraid to call the police and have them check out the credentials of someone who is working in your area.
• If you don’t understand the actions he or she can take using your name and assets, TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT IT!
• Always use good financial practices. Use direct deposit. Do not sign blank checks. Never leave money laying around.
Concerns or question? Just call the Illinois Department on Aging Adult Protective Services Hotline: 1-866-800-1409 1-888-206-1327 (TTY) www.illinois.gov/aging