As the meatless trend grows in popularity, the reasons for individuals going meatless vary. For some, a plant-based diet is a health decision, others choose a meatless diet for religious purposes and some choose vegetarianism over concern for animal welfare. For whatever the reason, vegetarian diets tend to be lower in saturated fat, and the U.S. government recommends eating most of our calories from grains, vegetables and fruits. Go to ChooseMyPlate.gov for a resource to build healthy eating habits.
Black Bean Lasagna
- 3 15-ounce cans Black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 large jar Ragu Chunky Garden Vegetable sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 1 large carton small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 3 eggs
- garlic powder to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- dried oregano to taste
- 1 box lasagna noodles (does not have to be oven ready)
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Green pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, fresh or canned optional
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Puree black beans and set aside.
- Combine Ragu and water and pour 1/2 cup into bottom of 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Add remaining Ragu mixture to pureed beans, blend and set aside.
- In large bowl, blend cottage cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, oregano and pepper until creamy. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, mix onion, green pepper, mushrooms and carrots, and set aside.
- To assemble, place three pieces of uncooked lasagna in baking dish and top with half of the bean mixture followed by half of the cottage cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese followed by 1/2 bag of fresh spinach, loosely layered.
- Add a third of mozzarella followed by half of the fresh vegetable mixture.
- Add another layer of noodles and repeat steps from above. Finish with a layer of mozzarella.
- Spray one side of a sheet of foil with cooking spray and tightly cover dish. Add another layer of foil to double cover.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is browned. Let set up before serving.