Tastes like chicken!
Popular and versatile, chicken is a low-fat alternative to red meat. It can be found in a multitude of cuisines, takes well to a variety of spices and is economical. Readers submitted their favorite chicken recipes and we supplemented with a few favorites of our own.
Cheddary Chicken Potpie
- 1 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup undiluted
- 1 cup milk divided
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked chicken cubed
- 1 10-ounce frozen chopped broccoli cooked and drained
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup Bisquick
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds optional
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In large saucepan, combine soup, 1/2 cup milk, onion, cream cheese, celery, carrots, Parmesan cheese and salt. Cook and stir until mixture is hot and cream cheese is melted.
- Stir in the chicken and broccoli; heat through.
- Pour into an ungreased 2-quart baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, oil and remaining milk. Add Bisquick and cheddar cheese and blend well.
- Spoon over hot chicken mixture. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown