AIEC employees share favorite soups
Chicken Tortilla Soup
By Jennifer Sours, Executive Assistant to Duane Noland
- 8- 6-inch corn or flour tortillas
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 4- 14 oz. cans chicken broth
- 2- 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes undrained
- 2- 4 oz. cans chopped green chilies undrained
- 8 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 c. shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 8 wedges fresh lime (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut tortillas into 1/2 inch strips. Place flat on baking sheet and bake 7-8 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile chop onion. Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat saucepan pan over medium-high heat, coat with cooking spray and add chicken. Cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Add onion, pressed garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes and chilies. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Chop cilantro.
- Put tortilla strips into bowls and ladle soup over tortillas.
- Top with shredded cheese and sprinkle with cilantro. Garnish each bowl with a wedge of lime to squeeze into soup, if desired.