AIEC employees share favorite soups
By Edward VanHoose, Digital Communications & IT Manager
- 2 c. chopped onions
- 2 c. green pepper chopped
- 2 c. fresh tomato chopped
- 2- 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes undrained
- 1- 15 oz. can black beans undrained
- 1- 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans undrained
- 1- 15 oz. can cannellini beans undrained
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. stew meat cut into small pieces
- 9 oz. skinless smoked sausage cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp. seasoning salt
- 8 T. chili powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 tsp. paprika
- 4 T. ground cumin
- 6 tsp. sea salt
- 8 tsp. black pepper
- Brown sausage, stew meat and ground beef together in large skillet with seasoning salt. Do NOT drain. Set aside.
- Combine onions, green pepper, and fresh tomatoes in another skillet and cook until most juice is gone. Set aside.
- Combine remaining seasonings in small bowl and set aside.
- In large crock pot combine canned tomatoes, cooked meat, cooked vegetables and canned beans. Stir to mix ingredients. Add seasoning mix and stir.
- Cook on high for 1 hour. Turn to low and cook for additional 4 hours, adding water if needed. Can add hot sauce to taste for extra spice, if desired.