My mother got this recipe from my Great Grandmother Foster and makes them at Christmas. I really look forward to having some each year.
– Sandy Wolske, Advertising Coordinator/Graphic Designer
Cry Baby Cookies
- 1 c. butter softened
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp. vanilla
- 3 c. flour
- 1 c. cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 stick butter softened
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Powdered sugar
- Walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together 1 c. butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and 3 tsp. vanilla and mix.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture until completely incorporated.
- Roll into balls and place on parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Flatten balls with palm of hand.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool.
- Mix together cream cheese, 1/2 stick butter and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Add powdered sugar to spreading consistency.
- Ice cooled cookies and top each with a walnut half. Makes 6 dozen.