Holiday Cookie Contest
Cookies and the holidays just seem to go together! Our contest proved to be very popular with well over 200 entries received. A favorite of young and old alike, cookies appeal to the Cookie Monster in all of us.
It was a difficult decision narrowing down the choices and the ultimate winners. Judges commented that the cookies in first, second and third places “tasted like Christmas.” First place goes to the Peppermint Mocha Cookies submitted by Julia Herschberger. Judges loved the combination of chocolate, coffee and mint making it the clear winner. The Stroopwafels submitted by Rachel Peterson and Gingerbread Macarons from Isabel Talamantes contain the warm winter spices appreciated by all.
Enjoy the eight recipes included in these pages and be sure to go to icl.coop/cookiecontest to check out all submissions. You just may find some new recipes for your Cookie Monsters.
Frosted Apricot Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 3-ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine butter and cream cheese, beating until smooth.
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder; stir into creamed mixture. Add apricot preserves and chopped pecans, mixing well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet or use parchment paper to line the cookie sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool slightly on wire racks.
- To make frosting, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Frost cookies while warm.