Holiday Cookie Contest
Cookies and the holidays just seem to go together! Our contest proved to be very popular with well over 200 entries received. A favorite of young and old alike, cookies appeal to the Cookie Monster in all of us.
It was a difficult decision narrowing down the choices and the ultimate winners. Judges commented that the cookies in first, second and third places “tasted like Christmas.” First place goes to the Peppermint Mocha Cookies submitted by Julia Herschberger. Judges loved the combination of chocolate, coffee and mint making it the clear winner. The Stroopwafels submitted by Rachel Peterson and Gingerbread Macarons from Isabel Talamantes contain the warm winter spices appreciated by all.
Enjoy the eight recipes included in these pages and be sure to go to icl.coop/cookiecontest to check out all submissions. You just may find some new recipes for your Cookie Monsters.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate ships
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chopped peanuts
- In mixing bowl, cream butter, peanut butter and sugars; add egg and vanilla.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Shape dough into 48 balls, 1-inch each. Place in lightly greased mini muffin tins. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and immediately make “wells” in the center of each by lightly pressing with a melon baller. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then carefully remove to wire racks.
- For filling: melt chocolate chips in double boiler over simmering water. Stir in milk and vanilla; mix well. Using a small pitcher or pastry bag, fill each cooled shell with filling. Sprinkle with peanuts.