Holiday Cookie Contest
Cookies and the holidays just seem to go together! Our contest proved to be very popular with well over 200 entries received. A favorite of young and old alike, cookies appeal to the Cookie Monster in all of us.
It was a difficult decision narrowing down the choices and the ultimate winners. Judges commented that the cookies in first, second and third places “tasted like Christmas.” First place goes to the Peppermint Mocha Cookies submitted by Julia Herschberger. Judges loved the combination of chocolate, coffee and mint making it the clear winner. The Stroopwafels submitted by Rachel Peterson and Gingerbread Macarons from Isabel Talamantes contain the warm winter spices appreciated by all.
Enjoy the eight recipes included in these pages and be sure to go to icl.coop/cookiecontest to check out all submissions. You just may find some new recipes for your Cookie Monsters.
German Chocolate Cake Cookies
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt (opt.)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup sem-sweet chocolate chips melted
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, blend butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture and blend until combined.
- Drop by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets and bake 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- For frosting, in large saucepan place evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla over medium heat. Stir to combine and continue to stir until thickened, about 11-12 minutes.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and add coconut and pecans. Beat until thick enough to spread.
- Spread frosting over tops of cooled cookies. Drizzle melted chocolate over top of frosting. Enjoy!