Eat your carrots
Plentiful year-round, root vegetables can be found in a wide variety of colors from deep purple beets to vibrant orange sweet potatoes and carrots and creamy white parsnips, turnips and rutabagas. Easily obtainable and budget friendly, these nutritious vegetables are packed with nutrients from the soil and have a high concentration of antioxidants, Vitamins C, B and A, and iron. They are versatile, at peak season beginning in fall and make tasty additions to your fall and winter meals.
- 1 Granny Smith apple julienned
- 1 large carrot peeled and julienned
- 1/2 small jicama peeled and julienned
- 1/2 large Red pepper thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups red cabbage shredded
- 6 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/4 large red onion thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tablespon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In large bowl, combine all vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients until well blended. Pour over vegetables and mix.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight. Serve.
Nutrition information: 110 calories; 8.5g fat; 243mg sodium; 7.9g carbohydrates; 0.5g protein. (Adapted from www.familytabletreasures.com)