Eat your carrots
Plentiful year-round, root vegetables can be found in a wide variety of colors from deep purple beets to vibrant orange sweet potatoes and carrots and creamy white parsnips, turnips and rutabagas. Easily obtainable and budget friendly, these nutritious vegetables are packed with nutrients from the soil and have a high concentration of antioxidants, Vitamins C, B and A, and iron. They are versatile, at peak season beginning in fall and make tasty additions to your fall and winter meals.
Sweet Potato Antioxidant Salad
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 dash Salt
- 3 ounces Chicken breasts cooked and diced
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast until tender, cool.
- In large bowl, combine chicken, spinach, pomegranate seeds, sunflower seeds, salt, pepper and onion. Add 1 cup sweet potatoes.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Add to salad, toss and serve.