My Grandma Barb’s father emigrated from Greece in 1909, and she is half-Greek. As I grew up, one of my favorite foods at Christmas time, and something I still look forward to today, are Grandma’s Greek butter “Crescent Cookies.”
– Chris Reynolds, Coordinator of Web Services/Graphic Designer
- 1 lb. butter softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 3/4 c. almonds or walnuts toasted and finely chopped
- 1 oz. whiskey
- 4 c. flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add egg yolk to soft butter and beat for 30 minutes (yes, 30 minutes) until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar, nuts and whiskey and mix. Blend in flour a little at a time until dough can be handled without sticking to fingers.
- Shape into crescents. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes until very lightly browned.
- Remove from cookie sheet with a table knife and place on waxed paper which has been sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Sift powdered sugar on top of cookies and cool. Makes 60.