This month’s recipes focus on low carb/diabetic-friendly selections. They may be low in carbohydrates, but certainly do not lack in flavor. Whether you are trying to eat fewer carbs to lose weight or want to eat healthier, give these a try.
Low Carb Chili Dog Casserole
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lg. green bell pepper diced
- 3/4 lg. onion diced
- 4 t. Chili powder
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1 t. Salt
- 1 t. sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 1 c. Tomato sauce
- 1 c. Water
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 8 beef hotdogs sliced lengthwise and cut in half
- 1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
- Diced onion for garnish
- Combine ground beef, two-thirds of diced onions, peppers and garlic in frying pan and saute until ground beef is browned. Drain fat.
- Add spices, sugar, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Lay hotdogs on the bottom of a 7x9-inch casserole dish.
- Cover with chili.
- Spread cheese over chili and top with remaining onion.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.