This month’s recipes focus on low carb/diabetic-friendly selections. They may be low in carbohydrates, but certainly do not lack in flavor. Whether you are trying to eat fewer carbs to lose weight or want to eat healthier, give these a try.
Chicken Avocado Caprese Salad
- 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 t. Brown sugar
- 1 t. minced garlic
- 1 t. Dried basil
- 1 t. Salt
- 2 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 c. Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 c. mini mozzarella cheese balls
- 1/4 c. basil leaves thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk marinade ingredients together to combine.
- Place chicken into a shallow dish and pour 4 tablespoons of marinade onto chicken and stir to evenly coat. Reserve remaining marinade to use as a dressing.
- Heat about 1 teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sear chicken on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
- Slice chicken into strips and prepare salad with lettuce, avocado slices, tomatoes, mozzarella balls and chicken.
- Top with basil strips; drizzle with remaining dressing; season with salt and pepper; serve. Makes 4 servings.