There is nothing quite like the smell of freshly baked bread, and if you add some cinnamon into the mix, oh my! This issue celebrates breads – from those fluffy yeast rolls you remember grandma making for Sunday dinners, to the light and fluffy biscuits that are amazing slathered with butter and jelly. And, let’s not forget those ooey-gooey cinnamon rolls that fill the house with the scents of cinnamon and nutmeg. I can smell them already, can you?
Servings 15 biscuits
- 3 c. pre-sifted flour
- 4-1/2 t. baking powder
- 3/4 t. cream of tartar
- 2-1/2 T. sugar
- 3/4 t. Salt
- 3/4 c. shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 c. milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease baking sheet.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar and salt.
- With pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Beat egg lightly and add to milk.
- Add liquid and mix with fork until dough holds together.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead lightly, just until dough is no longer sticky.
- Roll out dough 1-inch thick and cut into biscuits.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes.