I remember hot summer days, at family reunions and get-togethers, where the kids all took turns at the crank. That is, until we had to hand it over to someone with a lot more muscle to get in those last difficult cranks of the ice cream freezer. We all pitched in and could barely wait until we had our first bite!
Homemade ice cream is a favorite of young and old alike, and comes in as many flavors as your imagination will take you. There are now ice cream freezers that attach to your mixers, small ones you can put in your freezer, and electric versions of the old standard that are easier on the arm muscles.
Whether you are a purest and want to stick with your basic vanilla, or prefer something different, this month we share our favorite homemade ice cream recipes. So, it’s time to dig out that old freezer, or grab a new one, and get to cranking!
Mocha Ice Cream
- 2-3/4 c. sugar
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 T. flour
- 2 c. whole milk
- 1 T. instant coffee
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1 pt. whipping cream
- 1 pt. half and half
- Mix together sugar, beaten eggs, flour and milk. Cook until mixture coats spoon.
- Stir in instant coffee and chocolate chips and mix until they melt. Cool.
- Add whipping cream and half and half.
- Pour mixture into ice cream canister and add whole milk to the fill line.
- Process according to machine directions. Makes 1 gallon.