I remember hot summer days, at family reunions and get-togethers, where the kids all took turns at the crank. That is, until we had to hand it over to someone with a lot more muscle to get in those last difficult cranks of the ice cream freezer. We all pitched in and could barely wait until we had our first bite!
Homemade ice cream is a favorite of young and old alike, and comes in as many flavors as your imagination will take you. There are now ice cream freezers that attach to your mixers, small ones you can put in your freezer, and electric versions of the old standard that are easier on the arm muscles.
Whether you are a purest and want to stick with your basic vanilla, or prefer something different, this month we share our favorite homemade ice cream recipes. So, it’s time to dig out that old freezer, or grab a new one, and get to cranking!
Nutter Butter Ice Cream
- 4 pasteurized eggs
- 2-1/2 c. sugar
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 T. real vanilla
- 1/2 gallon milk
- 1-16 oz pkg. Nutter Butter cookies crushed
- Place cookies in Ziploc bag and put in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and crush into pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy and mix in sugar.
- Add whipping cream and vanilla.
- Stir in cookie pieces and pour mixture into ice cream canister.
- Add milk to the fill line and churn. Makes 1 gallon.