The Goose Supper Cookbook
Who: Lynnville Christian Church
Cost: $21.50 includes shipping
Details: soft-backed, spiral bound
Pages of recipes: 248
Send checks to: Jack McNeely,
Lynnville Christian Church,
32 Albion Street, Lynnville, IL 62650
or call 217-243-1687
Old-Fashioned Split Pea Soup
- 1 pkg. (1 lb.) dried, split green peas
- 6-1/2 C. water
- 1 ham hock or diced ham
- 2 cans (14-1/2oz.) chicken broth
- 1 med. onion chopped
- 6 lg. carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 parsley sprigs chopped (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. ground pepper
- In 5-quart Dutch oven or kettle over high heat, bring all ingredients to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered for 1-1/2 hours adding more water if too thick.
- Discard bay leaf and remove ham hock from soup; cool.
- Cut off any meat and skin from bones. Chop meat and return to soup. Discard the bones.
- Over low heat, reheat soup, covered, 15 minutes or until hot. Makes 2-1/2 quarts or 10 – 1 cup servings.