Submitted by: JoAnn Lynch, Eastern Illini Electric Cooperative
- 3 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. white corn syrup
- 2 c. raw peanuts
- 1/2 stick oleo or butter
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. salt
- 1-1/2 rounded teaspoons baking soda
- Mix and cook sugar, syrup and water until it reaches the hard ball stage (260 degrees).
- Add peanuts, salt, oleo and vanilla and cook until peanuts look and taste done and the syrup will be a little brown (300 degrees) about 15 minutes.
- Turn the stove off and add the soda quickly, stirring vigorously and pour as thin as you can onto well buttered or sprayed cooking sheets.
- Run a couple of heavy knives under each side to loosen and pull on the edges to get as thin as you can. It cools fast, so you must work quickly.
Note: I use insulated cookie sheets, usually 2 big ones. The candy stays warmer and I can pull it thinner. Easier to eat for older folks when a bit thinner.