Submitted by: Susan Bertelsen, Spoon River Electric Cooperative
Caramel Apple Jam
Servings 7 half pint jars
- 6 c. Granny Smith or Gala apples peeled and diced
- 1/2 t. Water
- 1/2 t. butter
- 1 pkg. powdered fruit pectin
- 3 c. sugar
- 2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 t. Cinnamon
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- Mix apples, water and butter in a heavy pot.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently until apples are soft but not mushy.
- Stir in pectin. Bring to a full boil, stirring constantly.
- Add sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Return to rolling boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Pour into jelly jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
- Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Yield: 7 half pint jars.