The Other White Meat
Considered by some to be the other white meat, lean cuts of pork are low in fat and a naturally high source of protein. In fact, a study conducted by the USDA found pork tenderloin to be more lean than skinless chicken breast. It also contains many essential nutrients and vitamins. Choosing cuts such as the loin or round will provide you with the higher amounts of protein and lower amounts of saturated fat. However you cook it, pork is flavorful and versatile. We suggest you try some of this month’s recipes which use everything from tenderloin and sausage to bacon, ham and more. We think you’ll agree!
Submitted by Connie Pease, Shelby Electric Cooperative
- 10 lbs. ground pork scraps
- 5 T. Salt
- 2-1/2 t. dry mustard
- 5 t. Black pepper
- 2-1/2 t. Ground cloves
- 2 t. Cayenne pepper
- 6 T. ground sage (adjust to taste)
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, with clean hands. Mix well.
- Form into patties to freeze or measure out 1-pound portions and wrap in freezer paper.
- Freeze until ready to use.