It’s time to break out the red, white and blue and celebrate July Fourth! Cookouts and picnics seem to go hand-in-hand with the holiday and everyone has their favorite foods. Rather than stick with the expected burgers and hotdogs, (and there’s nothing wrong with those!) we decided to break out the smoker to celebrate with smoky, finger-lickin’ good meats and summer sides.
Red, White and Blue Cake
- 1 angel food cake mix
- 2- 8 oz. containers Cool Whip thawed
- 1- 7 oz. marshmallow cream
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Assorted berries strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
- Bake cake according to package directions and cool completely.
- Wash berries, stem and set aside (cut strawberries in half).
- Mix together 1 container Cool Whip and marshmallow cream. Fold in other Cool Whip and almond extract.
- Cut cake into thirds. Layer cake with Cool Whip mixture and top with assorted berries. Repeat layers.
- Finish with Cool Whip and berries on top and garnish with mint. Refrigerate until serving. Adapted from hoosierhomemade.com.