- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups onion diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper diced
- 3/4 cup celery diced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 8-ounce bottle clam juice
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspon Tabasco
- 6 green onions sliced, keep greens separate
- 2 pounds shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- White rice for serving
- In a large heavy saucepan, make roux by whisking together oil and flour over medium to medium-low heat. Once combined, stir continuously with a wooden spoon for at least 20 minutes, until mixture turns a dark caramel color. It should darken very slowly. It will burn if the heat is too high or you don’t continually stir it.
- Once roux is a deep rich brown, turn heat to low and add onion, green pepper, celery and white part of green onions. Cook 5 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add clam juice, tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, black and cayenne pepper, salt, thyme, bay leaf and Tabasco. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Turn off heat and add butter, stirring to mix.
- Serve over white rice sprinkled with remaining green onion tops and extra hot sauce.
Nutrition information: 463 calories; 25g fat; 763mg sodium; 21.7g carbohydrates; 37.4g protein.