This month we thought you might enjoy recipes from Alabama Living’s recently released cookbook – the best of Alabama Living. Two of the recipes give you ideas of what to do with those green tomatoes still hanging on the vine.
We can’t wait to try these recipes and we think you’ll agree.
You can order a copy of the cookbook by going to the website: http://register.areapower.coop/cookbook or by sending a check for $19.95 (includes shipping) per cookbook, with name, address, city, state, zip and email address to:
Alabama Living Cookbook
P.O. Box 244014
Montgomery, AL 36124
Simple Apple Cake
- 3 c. self-rising flour
- 2 c. sugar
- 1-1/4 c. cooking oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 t. vanilla
- 3 c. Granny Smith apples diced
- 1 c. pecans chopped
- 1 c. coconut
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. milk
- 3/4 c. butter
- Mix oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add flour and cinnamon. Stir until blended. Mixture will be slightly stiff.
- Fold in apples, pecans and coconut.
- Pour into Bundt pan that has been well sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. When cake is done, remove to a cooling rack.
- Glaze: Mix brown sugar, milk and butter; bring to a rolling boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- While cake is still hot and in the pan, poke holes in it with a drinking straw. Pour glaze all over cake and let stand in pan for 1 hour. Turn onto a plate and enjoy.