This month we thought you might enjoy recipes from Alabama Living’s recently released cookbook – the best of Alabama Living. Two of the recipes give you ideas of what to do with those green tomatoes still hanging on the vine.
We can’t wait to try these recipes and we think you’ll agree.
You can order a copy of the cookbook by going to the website: http://register.areapower.coop/cookbook or by sending a check for $19.95 (includes shipping) per cookbook, with name, address, city, state, zip and email address to:
Alabama Living Cookbook
P.O. Box 244014
Montgomery, AL 36124
Green Tomato Pizza
- 1 purchased pizza crust
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 T. oil
- 2 med. green tomatoes sliced very thin (about 1/8-inch)
- Dash ground black pepper
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese (more, if desired)
- Optional Add a little bit of bacon or ham for a heartier pizza. Or, sprinkle with a bit of smoked paprika for the smoked flavor.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, gently heat olive oil and garlic until the oil is hot and aromatic. The garlic should not brown, just flavor the oil. Set aside.
- Prepare the pizza crust according to package directions. Brush the prepared crust generously with the garlic/oil mixture.
- Arrange the green tomato slices in a slightly overlapping pattern over the crust. Sprinkle lightly with the pepper and salt. If using bacon, ham or paprika, add now. Top with cheese.
- Bake for amount of time recommended by the pizza crust directions, or until crust is golden brown, tomatoes are heated through and cheese is melted.