It’s time to break out the red, white and blue and celebrate July Fourth! Cookouts and picnics seem to go hand-in-hand with the holiday and everyone has their favorite foods. Rather than stick with the expected burgers and hotdogs, (and there’s nothing wrong with those!) we decided to break out the smoker to celebrate with smoky, finger-lickin’ good meats and summer sides.
Smokin’ Good Potato Salad
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 8 slices crispy cooked bacon crumbled
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 Green onions sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- Hickory chips
- Place a pan of soaked hickory chips on grill burners and preheat one side of grill.
- Scrub potatoes under water with a vegetable brush. Cut into quarters, lengthwise. Coat with the olive oil, salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet.
- Put baking sheet on opposite side of the grill, not over direct heat. Turn grill to low and cook for 15-20 minutes. Turn potatoes and continue cooking/smoking until fork tender, cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, celery, salt and pepper.
- Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces and add to dressing along with half of the bacon, cheese and green onions. Lightly fold vegetables into dressing to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours. Garnish with remaining bacon, cheese and green onions and serve.
Nutrition information: 374 calories; 25.7g fat; 1526mg sodium; 23.3g carbohydrates; 13.4g protein.