My children (and now grandchildren) enjoy cutting these out and decorating them. From the time they were little, we would take a day to make these special cookies. We would use everything from colored sugars and sprinkles to forming different decorations out of Starburst candies.
– Valerie Cheatham, Assistant Editor, Illinois Country Living
- 3/4 c. shortening
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mix shortening with sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients mixing until incorporated.
- Refrigerate dough several hours or overnight.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes, until just barely brown around the edges. Cool completely.
- Frost and decorate as desired. Makes 30-36 large cookies.