Feeding the Flock
Who: Zion Lutheran Church
Cost: $17 includes shipping
Details: Hard-backed, comb bound
Pages of recipes: 214
Send checks to: Barbara Bretz, 10633 State Route 161, Mascoutah, IL 62258 or call 618-566-8239.
Vietnamese Egg Rolls
- 2 pkgs. spring roll wrappers
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 lb. grated carrots
- 3 pieces Bean thread vermicelli it comes in bunches
- 3 sm. yellow onions chopped finely
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 stalks Celery chopped finely
- 1 egg beaten
- Garlic cloves to taste cook in oil until yellow
- ½-1 jicama root peeled and grated
- Peel and grate carrots, squeeze out all moisture using paper towels and then salt them lightly.
- Peel and grate jicama and squeeze out all moisture.
- Soak bean threads in water for 15 minutes and cut into short pieces.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- For each egg roll, dip the spring roll wrappers in lukewarm water for about 4 -5 seconds. Place on a flat surface and allow the wrapper to absorb the water on it. It will become very pliable.
- Put mixture in corner and fold over, then fold in both sides and roll. Use beaten egg to seal end.
- Keep damp cloth over the completed egg rolls, as they dry out quickly and will split when frying.
- Cook egg rolls in hot oil until a light golden brown on all sides.