School has started and with that comes many activities that go along with it. Families are busy, and it becomes increasingly difficult to put a hot meal on the table each evening. Instead of going through the drive-up window and busting your food budget, consider taking a bit of time to make freezer meals. They are economical, nutritious and easy to prepare.
When preparing the meals, you may want to have a supply of gallon-sized plastic freezer bags and disposable foil pans. Another handy tip is to get some crockpot liners, which make for easy cleanup.
Put the name of the recipe, date you prepared it, and any pertinent directions on the outside of the container. All you need to do is pour it into your crockpot, or put into a hot oven, and dinner will be ready. How easy is that?
Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- 8 oz. Cream cheese softened
- 8 oz. Pepperjack cheese shredded
- 1-1/2 T. Taco seasoning
- 1 lb. cooked chicken shredded
- 8 flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Cheddar cheese shredded
- Green onions for garnish
- sour cream
- Stir together cream cheese, Pepperjack cheese and taco seasoning. Fold in chicken.
- Divide among flour tortillas. Tuck in sides and roll up each tortilla.
- Lay seam side down in a sprayed foil pan. Spray tops of tortillas. Cover and freeze for up to two months.
- Before baking, thaw.
- Uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn chimis over and bake an additional 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, green onions, sour cream and salsa.