Calling all chocoholics!
Just the mention of chocolate can conjure up images of luscious sweetness slowly melting in our mouths. While chocolate has been around for thousands of years, there is a renewed interest in high-quality, handmade chocolates. Local shops are popping up across the state, and chocolate makes a wonderful
gift for those hard-to-buy-for loved ones or as a house-warming gift.
If you have chocoholics in your family, treat them to one of our chocolate recipes over the holidays.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Submitted by: Robert Frazier, Illinois Electric Cooperative
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups zucchini grated
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients, except chocolate chips, together.
- Spread in one greased 9x13-inch baking pan and sprinkle chips on top. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Editor’s note: We made the cake in four miniature loaf pans.
Nutrition information: 204 calories; 11.3g fat; 204mg sodium; 23.5g carbohydrates; 2.8g protein.