Grab a java
Coffee, java, joe. Whatever you prefer to call it, it is certainly a popular beverage. However, coffee isn’t just for drinking as this month’s recipes show. Although we do include two liquid versions, our readers submitted a variety of recipes that not only contain coffee but would go well with it. Not surprisingly, many of them contain chocolate and coffee – a wonderful marriage of two flavors.
Submitted by: Myra Biggs, Egyptian Electric Cooperative Association
- 1/2 cup ground dark roast coffee
- 5 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar packed
- Whipped cream optional
- Combine ground coffee, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour into a coffee filter of a drip coffeemaker. Add water, brew.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate syrup and brown sugar. Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved, stir occasionally.
- Stir in vanilla and brewed coffee. Pour into mugs. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition information: 100 calories; 1.1g fat; 39mg sodium; 19.8g carbohydrates; 1.8g protein.