Whole Grain Blueberry Muffins
Courtesy of: Oldways, oldwayspt.org
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt regular or Greek
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare a 12-cup standard muffin tin with spray, butter and flour, or paper baking cups.
- Measure the oil into a measuring cup, then add the maple syrup. (The syrup slips easily from the measuring cup due to the oil.)
- Pour oil and syrup into a large bowl, then add yogurt, egg and vanilla. Beat vigorously with a spoon or whisk until everything is well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine all dry ingredients except the blueberries.
- Then stir the dry ingredients and blueberries into the wet ingredients until moistened. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, filling each cup just short of the top.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until tops are browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Nutrition information: 170 calories; 4.5g fat; 270mg sodium; 27g carbohydrates; 5g protein.