Zweibelkuchen (Onion Pie)
Submitted by: Shae Thoele, Norris Electric Cooperative
- 1 prepared 9-inch pie crust
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/4 pounds yellow onions sliced
- 5 slices bacon chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large skillet, saute bacon until done.
- Add butter and onions and cook over low/medium heat until caramelized, about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and let onion and bacon mixture cool.
- In a large bowl, combine sour cream, eggs, flour, salt and caraway seeds.
- Add the onion mixture to the filling mixture and stir until combined. Pour into prepared pie crust in pie pan or springform pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until top is brown and filling is firm.
Nutrition information: 395 calories; 26.1g fat; 1189mg sodium; 28.6g carbohydrates; 12g protein.